Beautiful Wuyishan Mountain
“The beauty of Wuyishan Mountain will amaze you,” my Chinese friends said when told I would visit the nature reserve of Wuyishan Mountain. While I was impatient to verify their comments, I was skeptical (懷疑的). As a Canadian I am accustomed to large acres of greenery and vast forest.
But now, I must confess my impression was wrong. I was not aware that a nature reserve could embody such splendid scenery and offer such starting glimpse of history and ancient culture, in a country of 1.2 billion inhabitants, I have discovered the marvel of a nature coexists in harmony and where modern life does not disrupt (打斷)the rhythm of nature.
The reserve is divided into four zones foe protection and conservation which offer unique characteristics: the conservation zone of the Jiuquxi River in the center, the natural and cultural zone in the east, and finally, the ruins of the imperial Minyue City of the Han Dynasty in the village of Chengcun. These zones formed a total environment, which since 1987 has been recognized as part of the global network Man and Biosphere. To further promote preservation of this site, china has requested that Wuyishan Mountain reserve be listed as a Natural and Cultural World Heritage site of UNESCo (聯合國教科文組織).
1. What’s the author’s reaction after he heard that “the beauty of Wuyishan Mountain will amaze you”?
A. Eager to verify but doubtful. B. Eager to appreciate the beauty.
C. Doubtful of its real beauty. D. Indifferent and skeptical.
2. What does the word “confess” mean?
A. Conclude B. Confer C. Accept D. Admit
3. According to the passage, what is the characteristic of Wuyishan Mountain?
A. Greenery and vast forests B. Harmonious coexistence of man and nature
C. Splendid scenery D. Rhythm of nature
4. What’s the zone in the west known for?
A. Nature beauty B. Cultural diversity
C. Ecological conservation D. Conservation of biodiversity
5. What does the word “biosphere” mean?
A. Atmosphere B. Circumstance C. Nature D. Ecology
答案及分析：1. A分析：本題是文章原句的改寫。第一段的“While I was impatient to verify their comments, I was skeptical.”意思是“詞是我就迫不及待的想驗證他們的話，我有點懷疑。”選項A是這句話的一個概括。根據這句話，作者并不是急著想去欣賞武夷山的美，而只是想去驗證朋友的話是否正確，故B錯。作者是有點懷疑，但同時還是很急切的，所以C只說對了其中的一個方面，說法并不全面。作者去游武夷山的心情還是很急切的，并不是indifferent漠不關心，所以D錯。故答案是A.2. D分析：confess意思是“承認，坦白”，顯然admit是它的同義詞。A conclude結束，終止，做出結論;B confer授予(稱號，學位等)，贈與，把…贈與，協議;C accept接受，所以答案是D。
3. B分析：本題也是原文的改寫。第二段的“I have discovered the marvel of a nature coexists in harmony and where modern life does not disrupt the rhythm of nature.”意思是“我發現了現代生活與自然的節奏和諧共存的奇跡。”選項A意思是“草木和廣袤的森林”，明天不符合文意;選項C“秀美的景色”雖然也是武夷山的特點，但是不夠準確;D“自然的節奏”顯然沒有切中要點，只有B“人與自然的和諧共存”是原文的改寫，最為全面準確。
4. D分析：本體在原文中也可以找到答案，即“the conservation zone of biodiversity in the west.”意思是“西部的生物多樣性保護帶”。對應的選項就是D. Conservation of biodiversity.“生物多樣性的保護”。A 自然之美;B 文化的多樣性;C 生態保護
5. C分析：biosphere意思是“生物圈”，顯然nature是最接近的選項。前問題到武夷山時是一方面講人文，一方面講自然環境。而biosphere所在的句子中出現的是“Man and Biosphere”;所以說biosphere涉及的是自然環境。A atmosphere大氣層;B circumstance環境;D ecology生態學。故答案為C。
Job and Dream
My father was foreman of s sugar-cane plantation in Rio piedras, puerto Rico. My first job was to drive the oxen that plowed the cane fields. I would walk behind an ox, guiding him with a broomstick. For $1 a day, I worked eight hours straight, with no food breaks.
It was very tedious work, but it prepared me for life and taught me many lasting lessons. Because the plantation owners were always watching us, I had to be on time every day and work as hard as I could. I’ve never been late for any job since. I also learned about being respectful and loyal to the people you work for. More important, I earned my pay; it never entered my mind to day I was sick just because I didn’t want to work.
I was only six years old, but I was doing a man’s job. our family needed every dollar we could make because my father never earned more than $18 a week. our home was a three-room wood shack with a dirt floor and no toilet. Nothing made me prouder than bringing home money to help my mother, father, two brothers and three sisters. This gave me self-esteem, one of the most important things a person can have.
When I was seven, I got work at a golf course near our house. My job was to stand down the fairway and spot the balls as they landed so the golfers could find them. Losing a ball meant you were fired, so I never miss one. Some nights I would lie in bed and dream of making thousands of dollars playing golf and being able to buy a bicycle.
The more I dreamed, the more I thought, why not? I made my first golf club out of guava limb and a piece of pipe. Then I hammered an empty tin can into the shape of a ball. And finally I dug two small holes in the ground and hit the ball back and forth. I practiced with the same devotion and intensity I learned working in the field – except now I was driving golf balls with club, not oxen with a broomstick.
1. What was the writer’s first job?
A. to stand down the fairway at a golf course.
B. To spot the balls as they landed so the golfers could find them.
C. To drive the oxen that plowed the cane fields.
D. To watch the sugar-cane plantation.
2. The word “tedious” in paragraph 2 most probably means ____.
A. hard B. boring C. interesting D. long
3. What did the writer learn about from his first job?
A. He could work as hard as possible. B. He could go to work on time.
C. He should never fail to go to work.
D. He should be respectful and loyal to the people he works for.
4. What gave the writer self-esteem?
A. Having a big family. B. Bringing money back home to help the family.
C. Helping his father with the work. D. All of the above.
5. What was the writer’s dream while working at a golf course?
A. Making a lot of money by playing golf. B. Becoming a successful golfer.
C. Running a golf course near his house. D. Both A & B.
答案及分析： 1. C 分析：作者在第一段的第二句提到：My first job was to drive the oxen that plowed the cane fields.我的第一份工作便是趕著牛犁甘蔗地。很明顯，C符合文章內容;A守候在高爾夫球場的球道上;B當球著地時辨認出來，以便高爾夫球手找到他們。在高爾夫球場的工作雖然作者也做過，但并不是作者的第一份工作，故答案為C。
2. B 分析：文章第二段開始提到：It was very tedious work, but I prepared me for life and taught me many lasting lessons.這份工作雖然很令人厭煩，但是使我對生活做好了準備，為我上了終身受益的一課.從but一詞可以看出這句話明顯帶有轉折的語氣，顯然tedious的語氣與后面“我” 的收獲相反，是否定的語氣。上文提到，I would walk behind an ox, guiding him with a broomstick. For $1 a day, I worked eight hours straight, with no food breaks.我得在一頭牛后面慢慢走，用一根帚柄引導它。一天一美元，我要一直工作8小時，沒有用餐休息時間。這項工作勞動強度雖然不大，但是卻是很單調乏味。A困難的，艱苦的;B 令人生厭的;C有趣的;D漫長的，故答案為B。
3. D 分析：文章第二段提到：I also learned about being respectful and loyal to the people you work for.我也學會了應該尊敬并忠實于你為之工作的人。A他應盡可能努力的工作;B他應該準時上班;C他絕不能上班缺勤;這些選項在文中也提到過，都是在種植園主的監視下作者的實際做法，但并不符合本題的意思。作者在文中提出，在這一份工作中實際學到的便是尊敬和忠實于雇主。故答案為D。
4. B 分析：文章第三段最后提到：Nothing made me prouder than bringing money home to help my mother, father, two brothers, and three sisters. This gave me self-esteem, one of the most important things a person can have.沒有什么比拿錢回家幫助我的母親，父親，兩個兄弟和三個姐妹更令我感到驕傲的了。這給我帶來了自尊---一個人所能擁有的最重要的東西之一。很明顯使作者感到自尊的是能賺錢幫助家人。A并非是作者感到自尊的原因;C也不甚準確;D前面提到的答案都對，這顯然也不符合題目意思。故答案為B。
5. D 分析：文章第四段最后提到：Some nights I would lie in bed and dream of making thousands of dollars playing golf and being able to buy a bicycle.多少個夜晚我躺在床上，夢想著我通過打高爾夫球掙到成千上萬的美元，能夠買一輛自行車。C在他房子附近經營一個高爾夫球場，文章沒提到;A打高爾夫球掙許多錢;B成為一個成功的高爾夫球手。A和B均符合文章的意思，故答案為D。