1. Jane ___C____ her lateness to the traffic jams.
A. contributed B. reflected C. attributed D. represented
2. The general ____B___ the tourists safe passage to the American embassy during the war.
A. consented B. granted C. registered D. led
3. The slighted movement would have ___C___ the device and blown us all sky high.
A. set about B. set aside C. set off D. set up
4. Don’t worry, the gossip (流言蜚語)will soon ____A___.
A. die down B. die out C. die of D. die from
5. Don’t go to work __A___ an empty stomach.
A. on B. with C. in D. at
6. It could soon be an offense to publish articles or photos which ___D___ personal relationships, finances or health.
A. intruded with B. invade on C. intruded in D. intruded upon
7. One of the roles which science plays is that of ____D______ superstition (迷信).
A. chasing away B. chasing out C. casting away D. casting out
8. I’ve just had to ___B_____ $ 10 for a parking fine.
A. take out B. cough up C. pay to D. spend on
9. I must _____A___ sorting out that pile of papers on my desk.
A. get down to B. pay attention to C. get ready to D. adjust to
10. Summers in the South of France are _____D____ dry and sunny.
A. in the most part B. in part C. in good part D. for the most part
11. After the harvest, the farmers began to ___D____ and enjoy the results of hard work.
A. set back B. settle down C. load down D. sit back
12. I thought I had my destiny (fate) ___C___, but then fate played a trick on me.
A. on hand B. at hand C. in hand D. by hand
13. No one noticed we had been _____D____ emptying bins and cleaning up.
A. running through B. running over C. running into D. running around
14. Little ___D__ explain so much about the matter.
A. did I need B. need I to C. I need to D. need I
15. He insisted on ____B___ in a cheaper hotel.
A. stay B. staying C. to stay D. being stayed
16. When people of different cultures C , the potential for misunderstanding exists on many levels.
A. meet B. react C. interact D. interpret
17. He was extremely rude to her last year and A lost her friendship.
A. thereby B. so that C. thereafter D. so
18. Astronauts in flight must ---B------ to weightlessness
A. judge B. adjust C. adopt D. adhere
19. When he coughs, it’s my ____B___ to get up out of the chair.
A. clue B. cue C. turn D. sign
20. “It looks like rain,” she said, and ____A___ the first drops began to fall then and there.
A. sure enough B. sure C. make sure D. assure
21.It was several minutes before I was ___C___ of what was happening.
A. adequate B. alive C. aware D. awake
22. Peter felt very ___C____ when everyone laughed at his question.
A. boring B. complex C. embarrassed D. encouraged
23. An argument was _____B___ because they disliked each other so much.
A. essential B. inevitable C. possible D. probable
24. Tell him not to worry, I will have _____D____.
A. to inform him B. informed him C. him inform D. him informed
25. You can’t be ___B____ careful in making the decision as it was such a critical case.
A. very B. too C. quite D. so
26. The father scolded the child, but his heart __B___ with joy because his daughter was safe.
A. is melting B. was melting C. has been melting D. will be melting
27. There can be no doubt that the tradition of Korea ___D____ her artists a different attitude
towards art problems.
A. impresses on B. influences on C. effects on D. imposes on
28. It’s strange that some people can eat what they like and get ____C_____.
A. not fat B. not fatter C. no fatter D. no fat
29. The teachers proposed that the book ____C_____ at the adolescent problem seminar.
A. would be banned B. is banned
C. be banned D. will be banned
30. As everyone knows, what they ______A____ at present is to win the contract.
A. are counting on B. are accounting for
C. are counting in D. are accounting of