Part III Vocabulary and Structure (20 points)
Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
36. We tend to think of these people as unreliable, but that is not the __________.
A. case B. situation C. fact D. circumstance
37. Who was the man of the __________ clothes and easy manner?
A. causal B. casual C. fit D. fitting
38. Being divorced, she was cautious __________ having a second marriage.
A. about B. of C. against D. for
39. Raising a child is a __________ and rewarding job.
A. challengeable B. challenging C. challenged D. unchallengeable
40. Quite __________, I met the one I wanted to see on the train.
A. by accident B. by coincident C. by incident D. by happening
41. The committee __________ economists, socialists, and computer experts.
A. consists in B. consists of C. is consisted of D. is consisted in
42. She is the only person __________ for the work.
A. competent B. capable C. competitive D. confident
43. Out of __________ for his health, we suggested he take a week off work.
A. worry B. anxiety C. concern D. considering
44. He seems __________ to sit in front of the computer all night.
A. content B. satisfactory C. satisfying D. contentious
45. A mom will take __________ in teaching her children to walk and talk and do so many things.
A. happiness B. delight C. satisfaction D. enjoyment
46. Mr. Ray regrets that he will have to__________your kind invitation because of a prior engagement.
A. refuse B. reject C. decline D. recline
47. When dawn__________, they were still 150 miles from New York.
A. started B. began C. arrived D. broke
48. People should save money as a __________ against unemployment.
A. cushion B. caution D. protection D. shelter
49. Public opinion was deeply __________ over the project.
A. different B. disagreed C. disagreeable D. divided
50. He was apparently planning to rent a car and drive __________ to Los Angeles.
A. directly B. direct C. straight D. straightly
51. You may use the notebook as you like, __________ you keep it clean.
A. as far as B. so long as C. as further as D. so far as
52. I do not know how the family manages to live __________ 50 yuan a week.
A. with B. by C. on D. for
53. She thinks it will rain this afternoon, but her father thinks __________.
A. likewise B. anywise C. otherwise D. as well
54. He has finally achieved the status he so __________.
A. desired B. wished C. hoped D. longed
55. There was only about five minutes__________ of the lecture.
A. leaving B. left C. having left D. having been left
56. The __________ of people realize the importance of limiting population growth.
A. main part B. majority C. most D. major
57. It is estimated that more than 50 million people in the United States play a musical __________.
A. tool B. device C. appliance D. instrument
58. He is __________ able to read Latin than I am.
A. not more B. no more C. not any more D. no less
59. I arrived at the park, __________ discover that it was closed for the winter.
A. just to B. as a result C. only to D. and
60. Jack, with his dark hair and brown eyes, made an impression __________ almost everyone he met.
A. of B. on C. in D. for
61. The prices of electric appliances have __________ fallen in recent months.
A. of particular B. in particular C. for special D. specially
62. As a former headmaster, he has always been __________ on education issues and a firm supporter of traditional learning methods.
A. outspoken B. outgoing C. outward D. outstanding
63. Improved health can lead to a __________ population.
A. largest B. larger C. biggest D. bigger
64. The businessman’s __________ purpose was to sell the product.
A. principle B. primary C. primitive D. predominant
65. He will do everything that is __________me.
A. requiring B. requiring of C. required D. required of
66. There was always some question__________ examination.
A. with regard B. regarding to C. regard D. regarding
67. He is always helping others without expecting anything__________.
A. with return B. returning C. as a return D. in return
68. It was not considered __________ for a man to show his emotions in public.
A. probable B. possible C. proper D. problematic
69. He lives in Argentina, well beyond the__________ of the British authorities.
A. hands B. power C. reach D. scope