Part III Vocabulary and Structure (20 points)
Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
36. Access __________ the paper is restricted to senior management.
A. to B. with C. for D. in
37. Employees can buy books __________ a discount.
A. for B. of C. at D. in
38. I was looking forward to working __________ her expert guidance.
A. in B. on C. under D. at
39. Canceling the conference will __________ a very bad impression .
A. get B. do C. make D. give
40. He looked shocked, then burst __________ laughter.
A. to B. in C. upon D. into
41. What __________ him most was that he had received no apology.
A. worried B. annoyed C. challenged D. troubled
42. I don't __________ of cosmetic surgery.
A. contend B. improve C. approve D. consent
43. The firm will __________ workers for their loss of earnings.
A. pay B. compensate C. comfort D. charge
44. A security officer at the factory, who __________ to give his name, said he had seen two men leave the building.
A. prepared B. tried C. declined D. pleased
45. Medical supplies have been __________ among families affected by the epidemic.
A. distributed B. given C. contributed D. delivered
46. Several children were __________ bread to the ducks.
A. showing B. putting C. feeding D. making
47. "I really need to speak to you now." "Oh, all right if you__________."
A. try B. need C. insist D. hold
48. They welcomed the opportunity to participate fully__________the life of the village.
A. in B. to C. into D. of
49. Ladies and gentlemen, I regret __________ that a number of statements made by the department were incorrect.
A. saying B. to say C. say D. of saying
50. The recipe says you can __________ yoghurt for the sour cream.
A. replace B. substitute C. exchange D. place
51. I suggest you __________ before you go round there.
A. phoned B. phone C. phoning D. to phone
52. It was a really bad accident - they're lucky to be __________.
A. living B. alive C. live D. lived
53. The results are __________ with earlier research.
A. insistent B. consistent C. concerned D. connected
54. The law requires equal treatment for all, __________ of race, religion, or sex.
A. regard B. regardless C. in regard D. disregard
55. I'm extremely __________ about what I read in the press.
A. critical B. skeptical C. frightened D. convinced
56. If people don't learn from this, then his suffering and death were __________.
A. in vain B. on vain C. for vain D. to vain
57. Thanks ever so much for your help, I really __________ it.
A. appreciate B. thank C. like D. enjoy
58. __________ you are blind, you will not miss the astonishing changes taking place in Shanghai.
A. Although B. If C. Since D. Unless
59. You __________ drive carefully. The roads are wet.
A. had better B. would rather C. would D. had better
60. A: We went to Italy for a holiday last year.
B: That __________ nice.
A. can be B. must be C. must have been D. can’t have been
61. An inspection of the building revealed faults that might __________ have been overlooked.
A. otherwise B. because C. therefore D. however
62. We __________ TV last night when suddenly the lights went out.
A. watched B. were watching C. had watched D. had been watching
63. Without your timely help, we __________.
A. would not succeed B. would succeed
C. would have succeeded C. would not have succeeded
64. Stop writing. It’s time that you __________ your paper.
A. must hand in B. have to hand in
C. could hand in D. handed in
65. Please go and make sure __________ you get a receipt.
A. that B. if C. how D. why
66. Nobody but Henry and Jack __________in the accident.
A. was hurt B. were hurt C. has hurt D. have hurt
67. Let’s go for a walk __________?
A. shall we B. will you C. won’t you D. shan’t we
68. He was __________ know what I meant.
A. too clever to B. too clever not to C. not clever to D. clever not to
69. I wonder whether our life __________ considerably by 2010.
A. will change B. will be changing
C. will have to change D. will have changed