1. Some people believe that since oil is scarce， the ________ of the motor industry is uncertain.
A) terminal B) benefit C) fate D) estimate
2. To speed up the ________ of letters， the Post Office introduced automatic sorting.
A) treatment B) delivery C) transmission D) departure
3. These overseas students show great ________ for learning a new language.
A) enthusiasm B) authority C) convention D) faith
4. The defense lawyer was questioning the old man who was one of the ________ of the murder committed last month.
A) observers B) witnesses C) audiences D) viewers
5. Politically these nations tend to be ________， with very high birth rates but poor education and very low levels of literacy.
A) unstable B) reluctant C) rational D) unsteady
6The chairman was blamed for letting his secretary ________ too much work last week.
A) take to B) take out C) take away D) take on
7. “You try to get some sleep. I‘ll ________ the patient’s breakfast， ”said the nurse.
A) see to B) stick to C) get to D) lead to
8. The London Marathon is a difficult race.___ ___， thousands of runners participate every year.
A) Therefore B) Furthermore C) Accordingly D) Nevertheless
9. The bank refused to ________ him any money， so he had to postpone buying a house.
A) credit B) borrow C) loan D) lease
10. The more a nation‘s companies ________ factories abroad， the smaller that country’s recorded exports will be.
A) lie B) spot C) stand D) locate
11. Being ignorant of the law is not accepted as an ________ for breaking the law.
A) excuse B) intention C) option D) approval
12. Within two days， the army fired more than two hundred rockets and missiles at military ________ in the coastal city.
A) goals B) aims C) targets D) destinations
13. It is said in some parts of the world， goats， rather than cows， serve as a vital _______ of milk.
A) storage B) source C) reserve D) resource
14. “This light is too ________ for me to read by. Don‘t we have a brighter bulb some where”; said the elderly man.
A) mild B) dim C) minute D) slight
15. We have arranged to go to the cinema on Friday， but we can be ________ and go another day.
A) reliable B) probable C) feasible D) flexible