16. We are quite sure that we can ________ our present difficulties and finish the task according to schedule.
A) get across B) get over C) get away D) get off
17. ________ recent developments we do not think your scheme is practical.
A) In view of B) In favor of C) In case of D) In memory of
18. Jessica was ________ from the warehouse to the accounting office， which was considered a promotion.
A) delivered B) exchanged C) transferred D) transformed
19. Mr. Smith asked his secretary to ____ a new paragraph in the annual report she was typing.
A) inject B) install C) invade D) insert
20. There‘s the living room still to be ________， so that’s my next project.
A) abandoned B) decorated C) dissolved D) assessed
21. The old paper mill has been ________ to make way for a new shopping centre.
A) held down B) kept down C) cut down D) turn down
22. It may be necessary to stop ________ in the learning process and go back to the difficult points in the lessons.
A) at a distance B) at intervals C) at case D) at length
23. You can hire a bicycle in many places. Usually you‘ll have to pay a ________.
A) deposit B) deal C) fare D) fond
24. My grandfather had always taken a ________ interest in my work， and I had an equal admiration for the stories of his time.
A) splendid B) weighty C) vague D) keen
25. ________ quantities of water are being used nowadays with the rapid development of industry and agriculture.
A) Excessive B) Extensive C) Extreme D) Exclusive
26. John cannot afford to go to university， ________ going abroad.
A) nothing but B) anything but C) not to speak of D) nothing to speak of
27. Most laboratory and field studies of human behavior ________ taking a situational photograph at a given time and in a given place.
A) involve B) compose C) enclose D) attach
28. If you don‘t like to swim， you ________ as well stay at home.
A) should B) may C) can D) would
29. Dr. Smith was always ________ the poor and the sick， often providing them with free medical care.
A) reminded of B) absorbed in C) tended by D) concerned about
30. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams died on July 4， 1826， the fiftieth ________ of American Independence.
A) ceremony B) occasion C) occurrence D) anniversary